Secrets To Dog Training by Daniel Stevens reviewed by Chris Smith on November 30 2010.
Please note Secrets To Dog Training was formerly known as the dog training book SitStayFetch - it's had a fantastic recent update!
The first thing I noticed when I purchased Secrets To Dog Training was that it is meaty.
Secrets To Dog Training is one of the most comprehensive and complete dog ownership tools I have found. Let me say upfront I am a big fan of this dog training package. I was very happy when I discovered it and have used it with great effect on my own dogs ever since.
Secrets To Dog Training is well over 250 pages chock full of all the latest dog training methods and techniques. This, along with the 5 free bonus books, audio and video downloads that come with it, cover every aspect of responsible dog ownership and training.
From before you bring home your new puppy or older dog, right through to advanced obedience training, it seems nothing has been left out of Secrets To Dog Training. If you have a specific question or problem that isn't addressed you can even email the author Daniel Stevens for the answer! (This is another free bonus that is included with the Secrets To Dog Training package).
Daniel, who is a professional dog trainer clearly knows his stuff, he has a deep understanding of how dogs think, and what motivates them to do what they do.
What You Get In The Secrets To Dog Training Package
I purchased the Secrets To Dog Training Premium Package
in October 2009. Below is a list of the resources I received for instant download - complete with my review.
Secrets To Dog Training - Dog Training To Stop Your Dog's Behavior Problems
260 pages jam packed with dog care and obedience training advice. It also includes more than 100 photographs
which prove to be a great visual learning tool. The book is very detailed and descriptive and offers clear step-by-step solutions to your dog issues/problems.
The main book is broken up into 9 separate chapters, which I discuss in more detail below. Please note that the Secrets To Dog Training ebook is now also included as an audio download when you purchase this package - listen on your computer or ipod!
Bonus Book 1 - A Quick Guide To Dog Aggression
This is a very thorough 28 page ebook. It discusses the various types of dog aggression
, how to prevent aggression
and how to treat established aggression problems. You'll also learn which dog breeds are more prone to showing aggression and how to identify the early signs of dog aggression.
Bonus Book 2 - All The House Training Methods and Tricks
Everything you need to know to quickly and successfully house train (potty train) your new puppy or even older dog. The two most effective methods of house training are discussed and described in detail. Includes step-by-step instruction and how to correct house training problems. Another good feature is a list of 10 helpful tips on making the house training process a success.
Bonus Book 3 - Secrets To Becoming The Alpha Dog
One of the key areas to learn and apply if you want a happy and obedient dog.
This e-book is based around dogs having developed as pack animals and how you need to maintain the proper hierarchy in the owner-dog relationship. I found this part of Secrets To Dog Training to be most beneficial in curbing some dominant/aggresive behavior in my Dalmation, Harrison. You'll learn some subtle but highly effective tips you can apply every day
in order to establish and maintain a healthy relationship with your dog.
Bonus Book 4 - Dog Grooming Made Easy
This book explores the different bathing, grooming, dental
and clipping techniques needed to keep your dog looking and feeling in peak condition.
There are also some very useful tips in this book on detecting the early signs that something may be wrong with your dog. Good for Labradors
and Golden Retriever
owners in particular.
Bonus Book 5 - Tips On How To Security Train Your Dog
It goes without saying that if you are considering training your dog to be a guard dog
, you need to do it the right way. This book outlines the correct methods needed to security train your dog
. Includes how to choose the right breed for the job, selecting the right puppy from a litter and how to precondition your dog. I recommend professional help when implementing dog security training but this guide gives you a nice overview of the process.
Bonus Book 6 - 175 Gourmet Recipes For Your Dog
This is one of my favorite ebooks in the entire package. With all the publicity and concern with the dog food recall of 2008
many dog lovers are choosing to prepare fresh homemade dog food
meals. This book outlines an enormous amount of wholesome dog food recipes and also lists the foods you must avoid feeding. This is a great resource which is sometimes offered as a bonus when you place your order.
Bonus 7 - Secrets To Dog Training Pro Software
With the Secrets To Dog Training Premium package you receive this valuable software download. Secrets To Dog Training Pro will help you keep track of all the important details and dates in your dog's life. Things like registration details, date of birth, medical history, vet appointments and training sessions can all be accessable to you at the touch of a button. This is a great bonus for the organized dog owner or for an owner of more than one dog.
Bonus 8 - Secrets To Dog Training Online Video
This is another valuable aspect of the Secrets To Dog Training Premium package. You can watch these online videos on your computer screen. Topics covered in this video are puppy house training
, alpha dog training, crate training
, leash training and a top dog maintenance program
This online dog training video includes some excellent dog ownership tips and tricks - provides some real life video demonstrations.
Bonus 9 - Full & Unlimited Access To A Members Only Dog Community
This is a brilliant bonus - worth the price of the package on its own. You'll find a knowledgable and active community of dog trainers, owners, Vets and enthusiasts
all freely participating inside the members only community. Any dog related topic you need answered, this is where you come.
Bonus 10 - 6 Comprehensive Dog Training Video Files
As part of the Secrets To Dog Training Premium Package
you receive these online dog training DVDs - put together by professional dog trainers Brian Heward and Susan Morton. These video files are an instant download which can be viewed right now on your computer screen.
There is close to 5 hours of dog training interviews and real life demonstration included in these 6 video files. The 6 videos are:
- Alpha Dog Training:
- The importance of you becoming the alpha dog in your human-dog relationship.
- What you must do to become the alpha.
- Learn how your dog thinks and learn to talk to him/her in a language they understand.
- Why you should avoid conflict with your dog.
- How To Stop Your Dog From Barking:
- Learn the different types of barking.
- Discover the causes that trigger excessive barking.
- Learn how to solve problem barking in any situation - in the car, barking at family members, when doorbell rings and at other dogs.
- Dealing with on leash aggression.
- How To Stop Your Dog's Biting & Chewing Problems:
- Learn how to deal with puppy mouthing, nipping, play biting and snapping.
- The importance of puppy socialization.
- Canine possession aggression or food aggression.
- How to deal with a teething puppy.
- Which chew toys are safe and what you should feed your dog.
- How To Stop Dog Aggression Part 1:
- How to prevent aggression.
- How to deal with fear aggression.
- 4 rules you should follow to prevent dog aggression.
- How to deal with 2 dogs fighting in the same household.
- Real life case studies.
- How To Stop Dog Aggression Part 2:
- The importance of puppy socialization.
- Proper dog park etiquette.
- Dealing with Separation Anxiety.
- These are lifestyle changes rather than a "quick fix".
- In Field Training:
- Real life case studies of dog training in action.
- Pulling on the leash - a great "random walking" technique.
- Food bowl aggression - set your dog up to succeed.
- Aggresssion towards children - is it a dominance issue?
Topics Covered Within Secrets To Dog Training
As I mentioned earlier Secrets To Dog Training really is the complete dog ownership and training resource.
It's not really fair of me if I detail every topic Daniel has included in the books, but I'll just outline the 9 Chapters that provide the book's framework.
- It's A Dogs Life
- Caring for Your Dog
- Training Methods Revealed
- Secrets To Understanding Your Dog
- Dog Problems Solved
- Commands To Start With
- Dog Whispering Uncovered
- More Dog Problems Solved
- Advanced Commands and Tricks
Some specific tips in the Secrets To Dog Training download which I have personally found to be very useful:
- Daniel discusses and explains many of the dog training techniques and methods being used today. He then picks out a couple which he believes to be superior to the others. He bases this on personal experience and most importantly results. A relatively new technique called Dog Whispering receives a strong endorsement from Daniel.
- The right age to start your dog off with the various commands and techniques is also covered in detail. For example it is important to start your young puppies off with very basic obedience commands and short sharp training sessions. At this early stage in your puppies life anything else is pointless.
- Another great insight Daniel gives is that you should never call your dog over to reprimand him. The reason for this is because dogs need to be praised or disciplined within two or three seconds of their action (or inaction). So if your dog is disobedient, then you call him over to discipline him, he will think you are angry at him for coming to you. He will have forgotten all about the thing you are actually trying to discipline him for.
The list of Dog Problems addressed in SitStayFetch is extensive and is backed by real life case studies:
- Biting and Nipping
- Travel Problems
- Coprophagia (poop eating)
- 2 Dogs In The House
- Destructive Behavior
- A Death In The Family
- Digging Holes
- Bad Breath
- Cat Chaser
- Dominance Aggression
- Fear of the Leash
- Fights Between Dogs
- Hot Weather And Heatstroke
- Nuisance Barking
- Off-Leash Problems
- Jumping On Furniture
- Jumping On People
These are the Obedience Training Commands and Tricks Explained in Sit Stay Fetch:
- Come (Recall)
- Roll Over
- Sit Stage 1
- Seek (Find)
- Okay and No
- Training Program
- Hold and Leave
- Advanced Sit and Stay
- Sit Stage 2
- Advanced Seek (Find)
- Sit and Stay
- Down (Drop)
- Fetch (Retrieve)
- Heel Stage 1
- Heel Stage 2
- Heel Stage 3
What Type of Dog Owner Would Benefit Most from Secrets To Dog Training?
The easy answer is probably - any responsible dog owner. But more specifically:
- Anyone who is just about to get a new puppy or has just recently brought one into their family. If you bought Secrets To Dog Training at this stage you would be able to use it immediately and right throughout your dog's life. It will help prevent any behavioral problems and correct any which may develop along the way.
- Anyone interested in addressing a specific behavioral problem in their dog. This type of user would go straight to the relevant section of Secrets To Dog Training and begin to remedy the problem immediately (or even use the free email consultation).
- For a dog owner who wishes to teach their dog a difficult or advanced level command.
My Experience With Secrets To Dog Training
I read the books from cover to cover
when I first downloaded them (and watched the online videos). I picked up heaps of useful and useable tips right from the start. I was soon applying the recommended dog training techniques and have now had great results with my own and my family dogs. Even now, if one of my dogs looks to be developing any behavioral problems I reach for my copy of Secrets To Dog Training.
You can learn more about Daniel Stevens and the Secrets To Dog Training Package here.
Free SitStayFetch Newsletter written by Daniel Stevens.
SitStayFetch Client Testimonials.